Balance and Falls Training in Miami, FL
One of the most common issues that affect the quality of life for men and women inAventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas is problems with balance and falls. Statistics show that one in every three people over the age of 65 will fall at least one time each year. The number rises to one in two people for those over 80 years old. Physical limitations and anxiety are both factors in people who are at risk for falling, and the balance and falls training at Advanced Sport and Spine Therapy addresses both of these factors.
Understanding the cause of your problems with balance and falls is complex. You may have problems in these areas due to:
- Physiological changes related to age.
- Problems with your vision.
- Medical conditions affecting the inner ear.
- History of strokes, Parkinson disease, low blood pressure, dementia, Alzheimer disease or diabetes.
- Mental health conditions, such as depression.
- Hazards in your home, such as excessive furniture or rugs on slippery floors.
- Limited ability to walk.
- Side effects of certain medications.
What is Balance and Falls Training?
Balance and falls training with a physical therapist improves your ability to maintain balance and reduce your risk of falling. The program includes four key areas:
- Falling risk assessment.
- Providing education on the physical and emotional benefits of avoiding falls.
- Recommending changes in your home to prevent falls.
- Exercise and balance training in a safe and monitored environment.
Benefits of Balance and Falls Training
Advanced Sport and Spine Therapy customizes the balance and falls training to the specific needs of the individual. Our comprehensive assessment includes all aspects of your health and lifestyle, such as:
- Medical history
- Vital signs
- Cognitive function
- Neurological screening
- Assessment of feet, shoes and walking devices
- Leg strength
By evaluating your risk of falls and ability to maintain balance from many angles, our therapy plans give each patient the exact support needed to feel more confident about performing their daily activities.
How will Balance and Falls Training Help Me?
Balance and falls training with the physical therapists at Advanced Sport and Spine Therapy builds your confidence in your ability to avoid falls and maintain your balance. We also teach you how to fall in a way that minimizes the risk of injury. You are able to enjoy your favorite activities and tend to your personal needs without feeling overly anxious about fall injuries.
About Balance and Falls Training
Our physical therapists incorporate four areas into the individualized therapy plans for balance and falls training:
- Strength training to build the muscles in your legs, core and back to improve walking ability and posture.
- Aerobic training to condition the cardiovascular system.
- Balance training to improve your ability to maintain balance in a variety of situations.
- Building confidence by understanding what activities place you at greater risk and how to safely perform tasks while reducing your risk of falling.
Is Balance and Falls Training Covered by My Insurance?
Your medical insurance may provide coverage for balance and falls training under the physical therapy benefit. We understand that medical insurance can be confusing for most men and women, so our patient coordinator will help you determine your coverage and out-of-pocket expenses.
Balance and falls training at Advanced Sport and Spine Therapy helps men and women in Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas maintain a high quality of life while reducing their risk of fall-related injuries. To learn more about this program, contact us today to schedule a personal consultation.