EMG (Electromyography) in Miami, FL
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute is one of South Florida’s leading treatment centers specializing in the diagnosis, treatment and management of neurological conditions. Our physicians sometimes prescribe an EMG (Electromyography) to help diagnose certain conditions. The neurologists and neurosurgeons at our Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale offices deliver expert, personalized care in a welcoming environment.
Electromyography (EMG) is a test used to measure muscle response or the electrical activity generated by skeletal muscles. Doctors use the results of the EMG to accurately diagnose a variety of neurological disorders.
When Is an EMG Recommended?
An EMG is recommended for patients who may be suffering from a muscle or nerve disorder. Symptoms associated with these muscle and nerve conditions include the following:
- Cramping, pain, and weakness in the muscles
- Consistent or frequent numbness or tingling
Conditions that are diagnosed with EMG tests include the following:
- Peripheral neuropathy (diseases affecting nerves outside the central nervous system, such as carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Muscle disorders such as polymyositis
- Neurological disorders affecting motor neurons in the spinal cord and brain (such as polio or multiple sclerosis)
- Neurological disorders affecting the root of nerves (such as a herniated disc)
- Neurological disorders affecting the coordination of muscles and nerves
How Is an EMG Performed?
Surface or needle electrodes are used for the EMG test. The electrodes transmit small electrical charges at intervals, and you may experience some uncomfortable tingling or spasms. During the procedure, the doctor analyzes the electrical activity in their muscles. Any spontaneous activity in the absence of adequate stimulation is indicative of unhealthy tissue at the spot where the electrodes have been placed. The results of the test are interpreted by the treating neurologist.
What Are the Benefits of an EMG?
An EMG is typically a low-risk procedure and is an effective and safe diagnostic tool that provides key information to your doctor for an appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan.
We specialize in the following diagnostic procedures:
- Carotid and Transcranial Doppler Studies
- EEG (Electroencephalogram)
- EMG Guided Botox® for Dystonia & Limb Spasticity
- ENG (Electronystagmogram)
- Ultrasound Study for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- VNG (Videonystagmography)
Book Your Consultation Today
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute doctors are experts in neurological disease management utilizing the latest techniques and treatment options available. Our patients benefit from individualized treatment plans. We have offices conveniently located in Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale. Please call 786-401-4599 today to schedule your initial consultation!