Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF) in Miami, FL
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute is one of South Florida’s leading neurologic treatment centers providing diagnostic and surgical procedures to effectively treat patients suffering with neurologic conditions via transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF). The neurologists and neurosurgeons at our Miami Lakes, Aventura, Kendall, and Fort Lauderdale offices deliver expert, personalized care in a welcoming environment.
Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF) is a minimally invasive surgical procedure used to treat damaged discs, to stabilize the vertebral column and reduce numbing pain.
When Is Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF) Recommended?
A TLIF is recommended for patients suffering from the following conditions:
- Recurrent herniated discs
- Spinal stenosis
- Spine fractures
- Bone fusion is enhanced because bone graft is placed both along the gutters of the spine posteriorly but also in the disc space.
- A spacer is inserted into the disc space helping to restore normal height and opening up nerve foramina to take pressure off the nerve roots.
- A TLIF procedure allows the doctor to insert bone graft and spacer into the disc space from a unilateral approach laterally without having to forcefully retract the nerve roots as much, which may reduce injury and scarring around the nerve roots when compared to a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) procedure.
- Disc Surgery
- Neck Surgery
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusion (ACDF)
- Cervical Disc Replacement
- Endoscopic Discectomy
- Facet Thermal Ablation
- Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF)
- Spinal Decompression
How Is Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion Performed?
A modern approach to the spinal fusion surgical procedure, TLIF involves accessing the damaged discs or part of the vertebra through an incision in the back to adjust or replace the damaged disc or join two or more spinal bones to stabilize the spinal cord. A bone graft and spacer may be used during the procedure.
What Are the Benefits of Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion?
TLIF is a safe and efficient procedure which helps restore the stability of the spinal cord. This procedure provides pain relief caused by spine and disc-related disorders, and has several theoretical advantages over some other forms of lumbar fusion:
TLIF is a minimally invasive surgical procedure, and requires a limited hospital stay (typically no more than two or three days). Recovery time is less compared to open back surgery.
For more information on our spine surgical procedures, please click on the following links:
Contact Us Today
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute Neurosurgeons are recognized experts in minimally invasive surgical procedures for the brain and spine. Our patients benefit from a faster recovery period, less time in the hospital, and lower risk of complications and pain caused by spine disorders with the help of transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF). We have offices conveniently located in Aventura, Kendall, Miami Lakes, and Fort Lauderdale. Please call 786-401-4599 today to schedule your initial consultation!