Vascular Procedures in Miami, FL
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute is one of South Florida’s leading neurologic treatment centers providing diagnostic and surgical procedures to effectively treat patients suffering from neurologic conditions. The neurosurgeons at Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute provide a comprehensive program the treats disorders involving the spine and spinal cord. The physicians work with neurointerventional radiologists to a multidisciplinary approach that includes endovascular embolization and open surgical treatment. The neurologists and neurosurgeons at our Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale offices deliver expert, personalized care in a welcoming environment.
What is Vascular Neurosurgery?
Vascular neurosurgery treats abnormalities that affect the blood vessels of the spine and brain. Examples of these blood vessel abnormalities include spinal arteriovenous fistulas, brain aneurysms, and arteriovenous malformations. The treatment of patients is managed by interventional neuroradiologists and neurosurgeons. The approach taken depends on who is managing the patient. For example, a neurologist may treat some brain aneurysms with endovascular coiling. Neurosurgeons may treat brain aneurysms with a craniotomy and clipping.
Conditions and Treatments
Spinal vascular malformations are abnormalities of the veins and arteries that are in or near the spinal cord. A collection of abnormal vessels (arteriovenous malformations) and abnormal connections between the veins and arteries (arteriovenous fistulas) are examples of these types of malformations. These lesions may cause reversible or permanent dysfunction that can affect the sensation and strength of the vessels. In some cases, the lesions may cause the deterioration of the vessels over time and even life-threatening issues such as bleeding.
Conventional MRIs may not diagnose vascular disorders that affect the spinal cord. A vascular disorder diagnosis typically requires an angiography, a specialized x-ray that allows the visualization of the inside of blood vessels. Even though this condition is rare, our spinal neurosurgeons have experience in treating it. At Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute, the multidisciplinary team, which consists of neurologists, neuroradiologists, and neurosurgeons, works with each other to diagnose and treat vascular disorders.
Brain and Vascular Disorders
Surgeons use the latest technology and modern techniques to treat brain injuries and disorders such as head and neck trauma, brain tumors, and vascular diseases (stroke and aneurysms). We have experience in treating different types of disorders, including:
- Brain Tumors: A mass of abnormal cells that grow in the brain.
- Cauda Equina Syndrome: An extreme form of inflammation or nerve compression that affects the nerves in the lower part of the spinal cord.
- Cavernous Malformation: Occurs when a hemangioma, a tumor-like, blood-filled mass, forms.
- Cerebral Aneurysm: A condition where a part of the wall of an artery or vein in the brain bulges, dilates or balloons.
- Chiari Malformations: Defects in the structure of the cerebellum, the area of the brain responsible for balance.
- Head Trauma: When sudden trauma causes brain injury.
- Hemorrhagic Stroke: Occurs when a blood vessel in the brain ruptures and releases blood into the surrounding brain cells.
- Hydrocephalus: Occurs when excessive amounts of cerebrospinal fluid build up in the brain’s ventricles. There may be increased pressure in the brain.
Vascular procedures include:
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Endovascular treatment
- Minimally invasive endovascular treatment
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS)
Book Your Appointment Today
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute Neurosurgeons are recognized experts in minimally invasive surgical procedures for the brain and spine. Our patients benefit from a faster recovery period, less time in the hospital, and lower risk of complications. We have offices conveniently located in Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale. Please call 786-401-4599 today to schedule your initial consultation!