VNG (Videonystagmography) in Miami, FL
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute is one of South Florida’s leading treatment centers specializing in the diagnosis, treatment and management of neurological conditions. Our physicians sometimes prescribe VNG (videonystagmography) to help diagnose certain conditions. The neurologists and neurosurgeons at our Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale offices deliver expert, personalized care in a welcoming environment.
Videonystagmography (VNG) is a diagnostic procedure used for the testing of central motor functions and the inner ear. Your doctor may order a VNG test to diagnose the cause of dizziness or balance disorders.
When Is a VNG Recommended?
A VNG is the preferred diagnostic test for patients who experience dizziness or problems with balance. The diagnostic test measures central motor and inner ear functions, as well as unilateral and bilateral vestibular losses (loss of one or both inner ear functions).
How Is a VNG Performed?
Infrared goggles are placed on the patient’s eyes to record eye movements. The procedure is non-invasive and pain-free and takes under two hours to complete. A neurologist analyzes your ability to follow objects with your eyes and their ability to respond to the vestibular (inner ear) system.
The VNG involves the following components:
- Saccade test to analyze rapid movements of the eye
- Tracking test to analyze normal eye movements as they follow visual objects
- Positional test to analyze dizziness with regard to different positions of the head
- Caloric test to measure the response of the vestibular system to hot and cold air. The caloric test is, in fact, the only test that can measure the health of the vestibular system in each ear – diagnosing unilateral and bilateral vestibular losses.
What Are the Benefits of a VNG?
A VNG is a comprehensive diagnostic test that records, analyzes, and reports nystagmus or involuntary eye movements caused by information received from the inner ears.
Learn more about the procedures used to diagnose various neurological conditions:
- Carotid and Transcranial Doppler Studies
- EEG (Electroencephalogram)
- EMG (Electromyography)
- EMG Guided Botox® for Dystonia & Limb Spasticity
- ENG (Electronystagmogram)
- Ultrasound Study for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Book Your Consultation Today
Advanced Neuro and Spine Institute doctors are experts in neurological disease management utilizing the latest techniques and treatment options available. Our patients benefit from individualized treatment plans. We have offices conveniently located in Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale. Please call 786-401-4599 today to schedule your initial consultation!