Workplace Ergonomics in Miami, FL
A poorly designed work area reduces productivity and increases healthcare costs for employees and employers. Advanced Sport and Spine Therapy offers workplace ergonomics evaluations to help businesses and their employees in Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas prevent injuries and fatigue that affect job performance.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor tracks workplace injuries that may relate to poor workplace ergonomics. Approximately 650,000 employees have work-related injuries each year at an employer cost of more than 20 billion dollars. Approximately 1/3 of the injuries are musculoskeletal in nature. Given the statistics, improving workplace ergonomics represents a significant return-on-investment.
What is Workplace Ergonomics?
Workplace ergonomics focuses on designing work areas around the needs and health of the human body. When people are required to modify their movements and posture based on the design of the work area, the muscles, joints, tendons and other anatomical structures experience higher levels of fatigue and strain. As a result, the worker experiences injuries, both chronic and acute. Employers are required to pay for the associated medical costs.
Benefits of Evaluating Workplace Ergonomics
An evaluation of workplace ergonomics benefits the employee and employer. Employee benefits include:
- Reduced fatigue and injury.
- Higher productivity and job satisfaction.
- Improved performance.
Employers enjoy many benefits, such as:
- Reduced healthcare and Worker’s Compensation costs.
- Higher quality output from employees.
- Retention of experienced, long-term employees which reduces expenditures for training new employees.
- Increased employee job satisfaction.
- Greater workplace safety.
The Procedure for Evaluating Workplace Ergonomics
Our workplace ergonomics evaluation is designed to target problems in three distinct areas:
- Repetitive tasks as defined by a task that is repeated every 30 seconds or less. The repetitive nature causes musculoskeletal fatigue and increases injury risk.
- High force tasks that require increased exertion from the muscles over a period of time. The force required increases the likelihood of injury and fatigues the body quickly.
- Awkward postures that are held for long periods of time or repeated over the course of the work day. Improper posture places undue strain on muscles, tendons, and joints.
We evaluate the workplace to identify tasks and work areas that fit within these three areas, and we recommend modifications to the work area, employee habits, and work routine to improve ergonomics.
Is the Workplace Ergonomics Evaluation Covered by My Insurance?
A workplace ergonomics assessment will be done at your office (home or work) and will take between 45 minutes and one hour. Prices vary between individuals and companies.
Employers and employees alike benefit from a workplace evaluation by Advanced Sport and Spine Therapy. If you live in Aventura, Kendall, Hialeah, and Fort Lauderdale or the surrounding areas, contact us today to schedule an initial consultation to learn how we can reduce injury risk in your workplace.